Understanding Water Back-up coverage

by jfinn

Category: Uncategorized

Water back-up is one of the most common causes of loss for homeowners, but also one of the most misunderstood.

What is covered in the standard homeowners policy?

A standard homeowners policy provides coverage for water that backs up through sewers or drains as long as it originates on premises. If something like the toilet gets clogged and overflows, that damage is covered. If the sewer line in the street backs up and causes an overflow, that is not covered.

What else is not covered?

– water damage caused by surface water entering the house

-sub-surface water. ex: sprinkler system leaks undergroud causing water to seep through the foundation.

-overflow from off-premises

Water back up of sewer and drains endorsement:

There is an option offered through our insurance compainies, to cover when water escapes, overflows or discharges from a sump pump or any other similar system on your property. The coverage is also expanded to include back up from off-premises as long as the back up or overflow occurs on premises. Ex: main sewer line get clogged up the block.

Please check with your agent to make sure you have the right policy for your water back-up coverage.

Comments are closed.